An experienced Architect and Designer / Maker, Claire’s work combines an exploration of materiality with the use of digital technologies to create bespoke and tactile pieces. Part digital fabrication and part hand-made, her work is research-driven, taking a human-centred design approach focusing on our uniqueness as individuals.
By investigating the sense of touch and how it contributes to our perception of the world, Claire’s pieces provoke a mindful interaction between object and user / wearer. The obligation to interact with the pieces in an unconventional manner not only requires consideration, but also imparts a sense of ownership, allowing a connection to be made with the piece which promotes attachment and consequent emotional longevity.
Drawing on her Architectural background, Claire’s ongoing, practice-led research aims to generate innovative models for interactive engagement. The next challenge will be to investigate how this can be achieved in a post pandemic society.
Achievements & Experience
• UWE Summer Enterprise Scholarship (Impact and Innovation) 2020
• Print 4 Fabrication conference Oct 2019 presenting my research on 3D printing for glass casting
• Associate Lecture in Architecture at UWE from 2018 to present
• Project Architect at Stretto Architects Bristol 2017 - 2018
• Associate Director at CODA Architects 1998 – 2017
• OCN Jewellery - Bristol School of Art - 2005
• Architectural Assistant at Akitek Jururancang Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, 1995 – 1998
• RIBA (part 3) - University of Bath 1999
• BArch (Hons) – University of Newcastle Upon Tyne 1993
• BA (Hons) – University of Newcastle Upon Tyne 1990