Joseph is a British photographic artist working between London and Bristol, and recently completed his MA Photography at University of the West of England. Joseph’s practice is concerned with social and environmental roles, focusing primarily on our sense of place and how we effect and are affected by the environments we inhabit. Resulting in images which dissect cultural and social identity as well as environmental relationships through found objects and constructed landscapes.
Working in a documentary style, his works are able to play with the narrative imbedded within the photograph, allowing the viewer a position of both fact and fiction, often playing with the photographs initial meaning. In-turn, this playful tension around the role of images in their cultural context, he is able to bring ambiguity to the work presenting the unfamiliar in the familiar.
Achievements & Experience
The Sunday Times, The Telegraph, Fabric Magazine, The Renaissance Magazine, Der Greif, Daniel P Tanner SS/2020 collection
MA Photography, UWE Bristol, 2020
BA(Hons) Photographic Art 2015
RPS international 162, Shortlisted - 2019
PRESS, PUBLICATIONS, INTERVIEWS, FEATURES, ETC:
- Photomeet, The Rural edition, 2020: https://photomeet.org/the-rural
- LOUPE MAGAZINE, 2020: http://loupemag.com/terrain-vague/
- BOOOOOOM, 2019: https://www.booooooom.com/2020/01/02/terrain-vague-by-photographer-joseph-horton/
- FOTOROOM, 2019: https://fotoroom.co/terrain-vague-joseph-horton/
- THEN THERE WAS US, 2019:https://www.thentherewasus.co.uk/terrain-vague-a-study-of-a-quickly-changing-landscape/
- BROAD MAGAZINE, 2019: https://www.broad.community/blog/2020/2/2/tuesday-talent-joseph-horton
- ANOTHER PLACE MAGAZINE, 2019: https://anotherplacemag.tumblr.com